A Study in Merlot

Hail fellows, well met, greetings, salutations and thank you for attending this study in Merlot, a chronicle of man's passion for excellence, and a compendium of the finest epicurean pursuits in the history of history. As Oscar Wilde observed: "Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." As I hope you shall see in these studies, Merlot is certainly not "most people" in Wilde's sense.

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Merlot's Membership Drive in Antartica Faces Setbacks

Greetings Voignier,
This communication is rather in the nature of an internal communication than one of our studies in boxed wine. The attached is the result of our effort at a membership drive that would extend the Boxed Wine Association of North America and Parts of Chile to Antartica, where scientific researcher Seth White was stationed early this decade. We are hopeful that in the event that Seth is called back to his research, we will be able to appeal once again for active representation from the world's polar regions

Nevertheless, it appears that our efforts have resulted in so much empty blue sky. However, we are not discouraged, and shall continue our membership drive, far from the shores of the mighty Hudson River, or Long Island Sound, beyond the sun drenched Napa valley to places where boxed wines are valued and enjoyed, the life blood of civilization.

We shall press on Voignier:

Drink and dance and laugh and lie
Love, the reeling midnight through,
For tomorrow we shall die!
(But, alas, we never do)

--Dorothy Parker



See attached from Antartica!
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 11:15:52 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Inquiry

From: seth@sethwhite.org

To: merlot@pammgt.com


Ciao Merlot,
I bid you good tidings and a pleasing bouquet from Antarctica. These greetings also extend to your esteemed associate Voignier. I was charmed and a bit humbled, I must admit, to receive your missive, as your name carries a notable weight amongst the small but surprisingly influential group of Boxed Wine afficionados.

I am intrigued by your request for a review, as I also believe that an
inclusion of active interest the North Polar Regions by your Society is quite a forward-looking ambition, as the Inuit of Canada, Greenland, and Alaska represent a great untapped membership pool. As an aside, it is said that the bespigoted box is an sacred symbol to these ancient cultures. I believe that the same can also be said for the South Polar Regions, but this is a topic for another occasion and a plastic mug of cubic Bordeaux.


Regretfully, however, as my delightful encounter with the Arctic boxed
blend preceeded your request (and in fact my knowledge of your Society), I left Greenland without detailed tasting notes. Also, as I had consumed a great quantity of more conventional bottled wines before approaching the boxed vintage, I cannot recall any information about it other than what is displayed on my humble website. Alas, it would have been my honor and privelege to supply you with a thorough report, but I cannot in good conscience do so as my recollection of the event is clouded at best, and dubious at worst.

Nonetheless, I salute you, Merlot!

Seth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home